Marsascala – J’aime ce petit port !

MALTE et La Valette – Guide de voyage La Valette et blog d’infos sur Malte

Arajouter aux infos pratique de l’ZARTICLE :

 

S’y rendre à partir de l’aéroport ou à partir de la Valette

– taxi,

– voiture

– bus : Marsascala- La Valette, bus n°  – Marsascala-Luqa (aéroport), bus n° XX – Fréquence : voir horaires ici – site…

 

Birzebugga où vous attendent les premières traces de vie humaine préhistorique sur les îles maltaises : grotte de Ghar Dalam (avec premières traces humaines sur Malte), intéressant musée… (Articles spécifiques à venir sur ces endroits. Restez branchés sur le blog de MALTE et La Valette) Savoir plus… Article sur Marsaxlokk, port de pêche resté tout à fait authentique. – Grotte de Ghar Dalam : voir article sites archéologiques à visiter

Marsascala – Complément à l’article : XXX

POur PAGE – Extrait de holiday malta : Marsascala est un ancien village de pêcheurs (souvent érit M’Scala) où l’on trouve de pittoresques baies. Les maltais appellent cette zone WIED IL-GHAJN (prononcez « wid il ajn »), et Elle s’étend entre deux flancs de collines descendant de Zabbar et Zejtun. Sa longue côte en forme de U, ses plages, ses caps rocheux et ses bateaux de pêche multicolores lui donnent énormément de charme. Tout cela s’ajoute à une grande variété d’installations modernes, de restaurants et de bars. Fut un temps où la baie de Marsascala s’étendait profondément dans la vallée, jusqu’à une grotte d’où jaillissait une source d’eau naturelle à laquelle les marins s’approvisionnait avant de partir en mer. Cette zone fut un refuge pour les navires romains durant leur longue période d’occupation. »

Reprendre dans ceci : http://www.maltatogo.org/towns-in-malta/248/Marsaskala

Marsaskala, sometimes written abbreviated as M’Skala, is a sea-side village in Malta that has grown around the small harbour at the head of Marsaskala Bay, a long narrow inlet also known as Marsaskala Creek. The bay is sheltered to the north by Ras iż-Żonqor, the south-east corner of Malta, and to the south by the headland of Ras il-Gżira.

The parish church is dedicated to Sant Anna (St. Anne) and St Anne’s feast is celebrated at the end of July in Marsaskala.

The town has a winter population of 11,892 people (March 2013), but this swells to around 20,000 in summer.

Man inhabited this area thousands of years ago as evidenced by the several archaeological remains found in various areas of Marsaskala. Its Pre-history is normally divided in the Neolithic period and the Bronze Age. Some of the most ancient remains at Marsaskala are undoubtedly the cart-ruts, which are parallel channels formed in the rock face. Some of Malta’s cart-ruts, mysteriously, lead straight into the sea. Difficulties and uncertainties still abound as regards their use as well as the time and the way they were made, though it seems that they served to transport heavy burdens from one place to another.

Early Christian catacombs as well as Roman era villa remains, were also discovered in Marsaskala, the latter suggesting that Marsaskala was also a Roman port. Remains of Roman Baths were found in a field at il-Gżira, a rock peninsula behind the Jerma Palace Hotel.

In 1614, 60 Turkish ships carrying 6000 soldiers landed at Marsaskala and launched an attack on the south of Malta. Although the battle was a decisive Christian victory, it brought back fear and terrifying memories of the 1565 Great Siege of Malta. Marsaskala’s vulnerability to sea borne attacks was reduced by the building of Saint Thomas Tower later in that same year. The tower was financed by Grandmaster Alof de Wignacourt and it is one of a series of Wignacourt towers. St Thomas Tower continued to be used for military purposes until the 19th century and it has been recently restored.

In 1659, Żonqor Tower, one of 13 De Redin towers was built in the area. This tower was demolished in the nineteenth century by British military engineers. No traces of it can be seen anymore and a pillbox now stands in its place. Marsaskala has various other towers, but these were built privately by wealthy residents as fortified houses. These include Mamo Tower, Tal-Buttar Tower and Tal-Gardiel Tower.

In 1715, Briconet Redoubt was built by the Order and it is now well preserved and is used as a police station. A second redoubt was built close to Marsaskala but it was destroyed in 1915.

In 1882, the British built Żonqor Battery but it was not used a lot since it was unsuitable for proper defence.

In 2003, U.S. amateur archaeologist Bob Cornuke caused a controversy with statements written in his book The Lost Shipwreck of St. Paul, where he claimed that the Apostle Paul had been shipwrecked in St Thomas’ Bay, in Marsaskala. These claims were rebuked by other experts.

As a monument over the more recent Maltese history are the remains of the previous four-star Corinthia Jerma Palace Hotel in Marsaskala at the very tip of mainland Ras il-Gżira. The hotel was owned by Libyan Arab Foreign Investment Company for 25 years and was closed in March 2007. (Wiki)

 

ogo – Crédit : Par Inkwina (Travail personnel) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) ou CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)%5D, via Wikimedia Commons

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/Marsascala_coa.svg

 

 

 T3 – Un peu de géographie…

xxxx

T4 – L’agriculture

 

T3 – Un peu d’histoire…

 

T4 – Les salines de Marsascala

xxx

marsascala salines

Infos historiques, extraites d site internet de la municipalité de Marsascala :

 

Bien préciser – Titre visible car renvoi de l’article vers cet aspect

MB – T4 – Les tours de défense de Marsascala

Municipalité – 

Fortifications : St Thomas Tower, Mamo Tower… détails sur le site : http://marsaskala.lc.com.mt/fortifications/

St Thomas Grand Master Alof Wignacourt began building Fort St Thomas in the exact location where the enemy had landed in 1614, on a plot of land bought previously by the same Grand Master. This was the third tower for whose building Wignacourt himself paid the expenses. It is a much bigger tower than the ones usually seen on the coast, for it was intended to defend the bay and to store arms in it, not just as a look-out on the enemy

Mamo Tower : A few years later, that is in 1657, the Mamo family built Mamo Tower at Tar-Rumi, on the road leading to Żejtun. It’s not as big and as strong as St Thomas, but it’s of average size, is built on a plan of St Andrew’s Cross, it has a small dry ditch around it and used to have a drawbridge. In the vicinity, the same family also built St Gaetan Church. On the inside, Mamo Tower has a big circular room in the centre, from which access is possible to three lateral smaller rooms, one on each of the cross’ arms, while a flight of stairs leads to the roof from the fourth arm. In the Second World War (1940-1945), the British built on this tower a pill-box, which was removed by Din l-Art Ħelwa, when the society acquired the lease of this tower.

 

 » En 1905, la population de Marsaskala était de 53 habitants. La population actuelle est de l’ordre de 9200 habitants. Puisque la région est si accessible par la mer, les armées conquérantes successives ont débarqué ici et se sont mises à prendre la terre et les esclaves. Marsaskala était autrefois un port romain. Les restes romains sont dispersés à ‘tar-Rumi’, où des ornières de charrette pré-romaines ont été remarquées. Bien que la région soit entourée en partie de hautes falaises blanches, les criques lisses offraient un accès facile aux envahisseurs des XVIe et XVIIe siècles.

Les défenses de la région tardaient à venir et la batterie Vendôme date d’environ 1715. Vendôme était un chevalier français. Certains résidents ont construit leurs propres tours, et les fermes fortifiées sont assez fréquentes. Même après que la zone ait finalement été fortifiée, les résidents restaient encore peu nombreux et les pêcheurs siciliens connaissaient mieux la région que les Maltais.

Le nom de Marsaskala confirme la connexion sicilienne puisque apparemment le mot « marsa » signifie « port » et « sqalli » signifie « sicilien »

Une raison probable de l’absence de colonies dans la région était la peur des pirates, qui parcouraient la mer à la recherche de trésors, et les esclaves. La population locale se sentait plus en sécurité dans les villes fortifiées de Cottonera et de La Valette ainsi que dans les villages de l’intérieur. Une autre raison pourrait bien avoir quelque chose à voir avec la géographie. Le port bien abrité ne pouvait à lui seul décourager les gens de s’installer ici.
La côte accidentée autour de Marsaskala est en effet un plaisir à voir, mais il a été le site de plusieurs épaves de navires. Le plus récent étant de « l’Ange Gabriel » qui était un pétrolier grec qui s’est divisé en deux le 23 septembre 1969.

Marsaskala est resté un port de pêche minuscule jusqu’à l’avènement de la 2ème guerre mondiale. Les habitants de Cottonera ont commencé à construire des maisons d’été à Marsaskala. Puis, plus tard, ils ont décidé de devenir des résidents toute l’année, ce qui a lentement transformé le petit port de pêche endormi de Marsaskala dans la station qu’elle est aujourd’hui

Établi une paroisse depuis 1949, la population double à peu près tous les dix ans environ. Il y a des hôtels modernes, des restaurants, des cafés, une mare aux canards et un cinéma. L’atmosphère est semblable à une station balnéaire optimiste.

L’ambiance est si détendue ici que le passe-temps préféré est de marcher le long de la promenade qui s’étend tout autour de la baie de Żonqor Point autour du Jerma Palace Hôtel

LIre la totalité…Site de la municiplaité/ localité http://marsaskala.lc.com.mt/

Regarder infos officielles, histoire… http://marsaskala.lc.com.mt/

 T4 – Des chapelles et une tradition religieuse forte

Chapelles autour de Marsascala

Site de la municipalité :  » Chapelles : http://marsaskala.lc.com.mt/chapels/

St Gaetan, In the year 1657 George Mamo constructed St Gaetan Chapel near Mamo Tower, likewise built by him. The Mamo Family was a well-to-do family of the 17th Century and they owned tracts of land in this area. St Gaetan was an Italian priest of the 16th Century and this chapel was the first one dedicated to him in Malta. It has always been loved by local fishermen and certain inscriptions on the stone of the facade witness such devotion. Till the 1950s the feast of St Gaetan was still celebrated in this chapel on the 7th July. In the 1980s a small room was built on the roof to serve as a secluded place for priests wanting to spend some time in quiet and prayer, but it was soon removed on the authorities’ insistence that it was an environmental eyesore.

St Nicolas,

This chapel is clearly visible on the left from the road leading to Zonqor and coming from Zabbar. Two chapels dedicated to St Nicholas of Bari existed here till 1659, but in his pastoral visit of the same year, Bishop Balaguer had both of them closed as they were on the verge of collapsing. But a century later, the one still standing today known as Tas-Subricint, was rebuilt by John Baptist Azzopardi Barbara. The first stone was laid and blessed on July 10, 1759 by Rev.John Mary Azzopardi.

St Anthony

Anthony

Chapel

Another chapel dating back to the 17th century is the one dedicated to St Anthony of Padua, built (according to Notary Michael Angelo Attard), by Rev.Andrew Polladino in 1675 in the area known as Xaghra. It is sometimes known as St Anthony of Latmija. Till the year 1919 when Marsaskala became Vice-Parish, this chapel was still within the limits of Żejtun. The parvis is reached by a flight of six stairs and at the back of the chapel there is a small vestry.

The feast of St Anthony is still held annually on June 13th with a Mass and a short homily. Small loaves of bread are distributed amongst the congregation on this day. A small statue of St Anthony with a little metal ring attached to the back of the neck is found in the chapel. The fishermen used to take this statue with them when they went fishing and lowered it into the sea water, whilst praying the Saint to give them a good catch! It also used to be lowered by farmers inside their cisterns when it didnt rain for a long time.

Savoir plus et voir autres chapelles : http://marsaskala.lc.com.mt/chapels/ – en anglais – »

xxxx

Tradition religieuse  – Fête patronale de Sainte Anne

Wiki – Fête patronale de Sainte Anne :2 mots ici et le reste sur page

The patron saint of Marsaskala is St Anne, mother of the Virgin Mary. The locals’ devotion to St Anne goes back quite a long time, and it is still an annual tradition to celebrate an annual religious feast usually on the last Sunday of July.

Apart from the religious ceremony, local band clubs ‘Ghaqda Muzikali St Anna’ holds its programme of events including a band march along the streets of Marsaskala. A fireworks display together with street decorations add further glamour to this feast.

The statue of St Anne is the work of artist Ferdinando Steuflesser and was sculpted in wood soon after the second world war. It depicts St Anne  together with a small statue of Mary as a child. The statute was ready in Bolzano, Italy in 1946.

 

 

 

Visiter les monuments historiques : chapelles, tours de défense… Voir page spécifique.

Wiki por Marsascala :

Marsaskala s’est développée autour du petit port de la baie de Marsaskala. La baie est abritée au nord par la pointe de Zonqor, l’extrémité orientale de Malte, et au sud par les hauteurs de Il-Hamrija.

Comme toutes les villes dont le nom est composé de Marsa signifiant « havre », elle se trouve au fond d’une baie abritée propice à la protection des bateaux.

Marsa signifie port en arabe. Les villes qui comporte marsa sont des villes portuaires

La moderne église paroissiale est dédiée à Sainte-Anne, dont on célèbre la fête fin juillet.

Les chevaliers de l’ordre de Saint-Jean de Jérusalem protégeaient la baie au nord par la tour de Zonqor et au sud par la tour fortifiée Saint-Thomas.

Marsascala et Sainte Anne

La sainte patronne de Marsascala est Sainte Anne, mère de la Vierge Marie. La tradition… festa annuelle, généralement le dernier dimanche de Juillet. –  LIre plus – cf. page XXX et calendrier XXX

 

Et pour terminer, l’emblème et le drapeau de la ville

 

Citer source : site municipal… « Two inverted triangles in green colour embrace three azure waves in between, at equal distanc » – Signification:  » The design portrays Marsaskala’s geographical location as a seaside village lying between two valleys. The green arms show the valleys on either side whereas azure, wavy waters signify the sea

Savoir plus sur Marsascala, rendez-vous sur la page spécifique : Marsascala : port de pêche, station balnéaire…

___

___ Ces informations vous sont transmises gracieusement par Monique Basley,
auteure du guide « LA VALETTE – Parcours-promenades dans la capitale »


Des itinéraires choisis et  fléchés pour découvrir,
pas à pas, les richesses de cette capitale unique.

Préparez dès maintenant votre visite de la capitale.
Edition 2018 – téléchargeable
1ère édition – livre broché