Eglise anglicane Saint-Paul, La Valette

L’Eglise anglicane à Malte : « La communauté anglicane est la deuxième des confessions chrétiennes à Malte ; un pays à majorité catholique romain » (extrait du site internet de l’Eglise d’expression anglicane à Malte : http://www.anglicanmalta.org/).

Détails sur l’histoire de cette pro-cathédrale – en anglais – (site de l’Eglise anglicane à Malte) – Faire défiler jusqu’à St Paul’s Pro-Cathedral: History 1844 to today…

Un peu d’histoire…
Sa fondatrice est la Reine Adélaïde d’Angleterre qui, lors d’un séjour de convalescence à Malte, remarqua l’absence de lieu de culte anglican permanent pour la communauté britannique.
Adélaïde d’Angleterre, nièce de …
Adélaïde Louise Thérèse Caroline Amélie de Saxe-Meiningen (1792-1849).

L’orgue

orgue st paul savethecathedral

Photo extraite du site de St Paul’s Pro Cathedral

???? Orgue – 1684 ou 1694 ??? One of his major achievements since becoming chancellor was the restoration of the historic organ of St Paul’s dating from 1694.[4]

Orgue. Attention !!! – TOM
https://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20110123/life/did-handel-play-his-messiah-on-the-anglican-cathedral-organ.346715

Sunday, January 23, 2011, 12:14 by David Dandria
Did Handel play his Messiah on the Anglican Cathedral organ?
Impossible! Rubbish! Nonsense! informed readers would exclaim in reply to this question. They are well aware that Handel never came to Malta and that St Paul’s Anglican Cathedral was completed in 1844, a full 85 years after the composer’s death on April 14, 1759. So the answer is a resounding chorus of noes.

PAGE + PHOTOS + ACHAT GUIDE

Enlevé du guide (manque de place)

En contraste avec l’opulence du style baroque des églises catholiques maltaises.
+++ sur shopify
avec historique détaillé et nombreuses  illustrations originales : http://www.savethecathedral.com/heritage/

LIVRET 2015 – Pro-cathédrale anglicane Saint-Paul (site n° 13)

PHOTO

Entrée pour la visite à l’angle de West Street – Façade principale sur Independence Square

Entrée libre – Lundi-vendredi : 8h30-12h30 et certains après-midi.

Brochure d’information en français à votre disposition à l’entrée.

Généralement réservée aux offices le dimanche. Messes lundi & dimanche : 11 heures.

Infos et actualisation sur le site de l’Eglise anglicane à Malte

Informations ci-dessous extraites principalement du site internet de l’Eglise anglicane à Malte : http://anglicanmalta.org/diocese/st-pauls-pro-cathedral/

 Cette cathédrale est vouée au culte anglican (Eglise d’Angleterre).

Pro-cathédrale car il s’agit d’une cathédrale auxiliaire ; deux cathédrales existaient déjà dans le diocèse de Gibraltar dont elle dépend.

 

L’Eglise anglicane à Malte

« La communauté anglicane est la deuxième des confessions chrétiennes à Malte ; un pays à majorité catholique romain » (sic site internet de l’Eglise d’expression anglicane à Malte : http://www.anglicanmalta.org/)

 

Pro-cathédrale Saint-Paul

« Lorsque la reine Adélaïde[1], veuve de Guillaume IV, passa l’hiver 1838-1839 à Malte, elle a tenu à fonder une église collégiale de tradition anglicane. Les services anglicans se tenaient dans une salle au Palais du Grand Maître … Il était impossible pour la grande majorité des résidents anglais d’y prier ensemble. L’offre de la Reine Adélaïde de payer l’église a surmonté toutes les objections. Le gouvernement britannique fournit un site, celui où était située l’Auberge d’Allemagne (la résidence conventuelle des chevaliers hospitaliers allemands). La Reine Adelaïde posa la première pierre le 20 mars 1839. » (extrait de http://www.anglicanmalta.org/diocese/st-pauls-pro-cathedral/ )

Pro-cathédrale Saint-Paul – L’édifice

 

Le bâtiment d’origine (conception de l’architecte Richard Lankasheer) se révéla instable. Les travaux furent repris sur les plans de William Scamp. La construction se termine en 1844.

La cathédrale a échappé aux bombardements de la dernière guerre.

PHOTO

Les 12 drapeaux et les panneaux de bois sont autant de mémoriaux qui font référence à ce conflit ; en honorant l’ensemble des forces armées britanniques (navales, terrestres et aériennes) ainsi que la marine marchande.

A l’extérieur de l’église une plaque rend hommage aux sous-mariniers.

 

L’orientation de l’intérieur de l’église est inhabituelle.

Au fond de la nef principale se trouve le baptistère. La cathédrale a été remaniée en 1949, avec notamment une réorientation de l’intérieur, à 180 degrés, et la construction d’un nouveau chœur dans lequel se situe le maître-autel.

PHOTOS

 

Orgue PHOTO ou lien vers site anglican

« Le premier orgue était une reconstruction à partir d’un orgue datant de fin XVIIe qui, à l’origine était dans la cathédrale de Chester en Angleterre. Et l’on dit que George F. Haendel en aurait joué en se rendant à Dublin pour la première représentation de son « Messie ». Reconstruit deux fois : 1886 par la société anglaise qui a travaillé sur le précédent – 1905 par une société suisse. Lors du remaniement de l’église en 1949, on intègre une partie du buffet britannique et des tuyaux suisses. C’est ce qui existe encore aujourd’hui. » (extrait de : http://www.stpaulsorgan.org/)

http://www.savethecathedral.com/heritage/
The organ
The historic organ and casework originally built in 1684 by Father Smith for Chester Cathedral (Bernard Smith the 17th century anglicized German organ builder who built the Chapel Royal organ in 1667) was restored in 2013. It now has a new console and more speaking pipes. The instrument, which was played by George Handel for the first performance of his “Messiah”, is used extensively for Church services, recitals, concerts and teaching. It forms an integral part of the vibrant musical life of the Pro-Cathedral.

Ajouter précisions et photos

 

[1] Reine Adélaïde d’Angleterre (1792-1849) : reine douairière, tante de la Reine Victoria.

 

Savoir plus… site officiel de http://www.savethecathedral.com/

Illustrations

http://www.savethecathedral.com

 

Repris de liens internet édition 2015 :

Pro-cathédrale anglicane Saint-Paul (13)

St. Paul’s Pro-Cathedral (en anglais)
L’Eglise anglicane à Malte (en anglais)

Savoir plus… – en anglais – : Heritage sur le site officiel de anglicanmalta.com

AVEC ILLUSTRATIONS sur l’architecture : extérieur et intérieur. http://www.savethecathedral.com/heritage/

 

Txt du guide . pdf

Eglise construite en … par la volonté de la Reine Adélaïde d’Angleterre…

Sa façade principale ++++ PHOTO : Sur la petite place, la façade principale de la cathédrale s’impose, dans un style inspiré de l’architecture néo-classique qui fit son entrée à Malte au milieu du XIXe siècle. Elle se distingue par son fronton triangulaire et ses colonnes d’ordre ionique.

Fronton sur lequel  l’intervention de la reine est rappelée : « La reine Adélaïde au cœur reconnaissant a dédié cette église collégiale à Dieu Tout-Puissant. ».

Ajouté ceci : attirer par titre :  Un orgue plus ancien que l’église…

et mettre photo u l ien vers photo

+ idem pour les panneaux… voir ci-dessous

Un intérieur : Intérieur : style néo-classique – Lumineux, spacieux, épuré.

Ne pas mettre tout le txt du guide . pdf. Seulement le début et … lire plus… page 60 du guide LA VALETTE..Pro-cathédrale anglicane Saint-Paul
Sa visite est très enrichissante pour qui souhaite connaître le culte anglican.
Origine de l’église anglicane Saint-Paul

Sa fondatrice est la Reine Adélaïde d’Angleterre qui, lors d’un séjour de convalescence à Malte, remarqua l’absence de lieu de culte anglican permanent pour la communauté britannique. Elle fit alors l’acquisition du site de l’ancienne Auberge des Chevaliers de Langue d’Allemagne, fit démolir celle-ci et édifier en lieu et place une église. Première pierre posée par Sa Majesté elle-même le 20 mars 1839. Fin des travaux et consécration en 1844.
Intérieur : style néo-classique épuré.
Une grande nef aux murs bruts
A l’avant, des colonnes blanches, sobres.
Au fond, de curieux piliers cannelés, dorés et surmontés de chapiteaux d’ordre corinthien, soutiennent la corniche.
Les panneaux de bois et les drapeaux
– Panneaux : des mémoriaux aux unités alliées qui ont participé à la défense de Malte entre 1940 et 1943.
– Drapeaux : hommage aux forces britanniques (Royal Navy, Royal AIr Force…).

Au-dessus de l’entrée : les armoiries royales et la grande bannière de la reine Adélaïde.
.

http://www.savethecathedral.com/heritage/

Traduction de : xxx

Introduction

St Paul’s Pro-Cathedral was built between 1839 and 1844 on the initiative of the Queen Dowager Adelaide, widow of King William IV and aunt to Queen Victoria.

The Cathedral is a universally recognised Valletta landmark, especially to those approaching Malta from the sea. With the bell-tower and its spire rising to over 200 feet (60 metres) from the ground, it is a historic and iconic element of the skyline of Valletta. It is a vital part of Malta’s rich cultural heritage and deeply symbolic of close Anglo-Maltese relations over more than two centuries.

To imagine Valletta’s skyline without the tower of the Pro-Cathedral is just as inconceivable as imagining St Mark’s Square in Venice, another World Heritage City, without its historic campanile.

A Brief History

When Queen Adelaide spent the winter of 1838/39 in Malta, she was keen to found a Collegiate church in the Anglican tradition. Anglican services were then being held in a room in the former Grandmaster’s Palace, but “it was insufficient to contain more than the chief English families” and the vast majority of English residents were unable to worship together.

Queen Adelaide’s offer to pay for the church overcame any possible objections. The British government provided a site where the Auberge d’Allemagne (the conventual home of the German Knights Hospitaller) had previously stood.

Queen Adelaide, the Royal Benefactor of St Paul’s Pro-Cathedral, laid the foundation stone on 20th March 1839. Her Arms and Banner now hang below the organ case.

A Dramatic Beginning: From Lankesheer to Scamp

Richard Lankasheer, the Superintendent of Civil Artificers and a cabinet-maker by profession, was entrusted with the design and supervision of the new church. When appointed, he was thirty-six years old and had very limited work experience in large construction projects.

Work started in earnest in accordance with his designs. But his lack of understanding of local construction methods and, in particular, the properties of Maltese limestone, proved to be his undoing. Within two years, “cracks, splits and crushings” began to undermine the fabric of the building.

Lankasheer’s reputation lay in tatters, he could not come to terms with his failure and died suddenly on 8 March 1841. Shortly after his death, the serious structural defects found meant that all construction on the Cathedral had to be suspended.

The suspension of works coincided with the arrival from England of the Admiralty architect, William Scamp, who had been employed as Clerk of Works to Sir James Wyattville when remodelling Windsor Castle. Scamp made a number of changes to Lankasheer’s original designs and in November 1841, work on the church resumed. Together with the Naval Bakery at Vittoriosa, the Cathedral was to become Scamp’s other architectural masterpiece, as well as his lasting legacy to the Church of England and to Malta’s cultural heritage.

Following its dramatic and turbulent birth-pangs, the Collegiate Church of St Paul’s was formally consecrated by the Bishop of Gibraltar on 1st November 1844, even though the spire had not yet been completed. The Dedication of the Church to St Paul, the Apostle to the Gentiles, was a reminder of the first Christian missionary to Malta when he was shipwrecked in Malta in 59/60 AD, and the spiritual father of the Maltese nation.

Scamp was presented with a silver candelabrum on his return to England “in grateful remembrance of his services in completing the Collegiate Church of St Paul, at Malta”.

William Scamp

Interior

The building is designed to a neo-classical architectural style with a grand temple-front portico incorporating Ionic columns. An array of eight Corinthian columns embellish its interior.

Scamp’s plan had envisaged the High Altar at the west end and four side doors, giving the additional benefit of a cooling breeze during the hot summer months. The Bishop of Gibraltar, however, insisted on a more orthodox layout with the altar to the east, so Scamp contrived an apse inside.

Scamp’s rather severe interior with its pillars (made of good quality stone quarried from near St George’s Bay and transported to Valletta by the Royal Navy) and fluted engaged pilasters topped by Corinthian capitals supporting a cornice are architecturally harmonious and provide a dignified grandeur.

Despite the Cathedral’s prominent and vulnerable position during the Second World War in the most bombed city in Europe, it miraculously escaped serious damage. But the plain glass windows had to be completely replaced after the bombing and further necessary repairs prompted a return to Scamp’s original layout.

The Archbishop of Canterbury dedicated the new Chancel on 2nd December 1949 (the centenary of the death of Queen Adelaide) in the presence of Princess Elizabeth who was visiting Prince Philip during his period of naval service in Malta. HRH Prince Philip has since become the Patron of the Friends of the Cathedral.

The west end was transformed into a choir by building a new stone screen across the nave. The former Sanctuary at the east end became a Baptistry and the baptismal font was moved from the centre of the west end to the Apse. The new screen incorporated a stone pulpit as well as a wooden lectern commemorating Sir Winston Churchill.

Memorials to the Fallen

The Cathedral survived the Second World War to bear testimony to the valour of those who fought to defend Malta. It now houses the memorials of all units of the Royal Navy, Army and Royal Air Force on the oak panels around the Sanctuary. A Merchant Navy Memorial is located on the north wall and a Submariners Memorial Plaque is situated outside, on the north-west wall of the Cathedral facing Manoel Island which once hosted the submarine base. Countless British servicemen have passed though its gates and worshipped at the Cathedral, been married and baptized their children there.

The Organ

The historic organ and casework originally built in 1684 by Father Smith for Chester Cathedral (Bernard Smith the 17th century anglicized German organ builder who built the Chapel Royal organ in 1667) was restored in 2013. It now has a new console and more speaking pipes. The instrument, which was played by George Handel for the first performance of his “Messiah”, is used extensively for Church services, recitals, concerts and teaching. It forms an integral part of the vibrant musical life of the Pro-Cathedral.

The Bells

Below the spire of the Cathedral is the belfry in the detached tower at the north-west corner of the building. This contains six bells, which were cast by C and G Mears of London (now known as the Whitehall Bell Foundry) in 1845. The bells are still sounded by volunteer bell-ringers to this day.

The Paintings

A head and shoulders portrait of St Paul, painted by Mattia Preti and his school, stands behind the Altar as part of the Reredos in the Memorial Chapel. The Reredos was completed (for the first time since its construction in 1949) by the painting, Ecce Homo, which was executed by A E Chalon, Court Painter to Queen Victoria, in 1844, the year of the Consecration of the building. It is housed in the Cathedral on a long-term loan through the generosity of the Marquis de Piro Estate.